Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fixed my Garmin

Last month I posted about my Garmin going kaput and my attempts to get it fixed in Chennai. I am glad to report that my Garmin Forerunner 305 is fixed and is working well. I have used it for the 5 runs and glad to report that it is working ok.

So, how did I get it fixed?
I first tried to contact Garmin's support directly in US via email. They suggested a few tricks via mail and when that didn't help, they routed me to their Asia Pacific service center in Taipei. This where hit the road block. Taipei guys wanted me to ship the device to them for fixing it and a quick back of the napkin calculation told me that it will cost me over USD 125 to get the Unit fixed.

So I ditched that attempt and looked for someone to service the unit in Chennai and boy I found one. These guys are in T.Nagar (near Brilliant Tutorials) and part of some Marine business. It took about 3 weeks and lot of follow thru to get the job done. At one point, I lost hope stopped calling them, but they fixed the unit after going stealth for a week. The problem apparently was with the battery and it costed me INR 674 to replace the battery.

In all I am glad there is local guy who can fix Garmin. This guy is messy and will require lot of follow through, but they delivered, albeit lately.