Five hundred (+) years after Columbus discovered America while trying to find India, America (US airlines) has finally discovered India. Even though Indians have been going to US in droves, none of the US airline biggies flew to India (I heard PanAM & TWA used to fly to Mumbai in 70s but they are non-existant now.). Whenever, I go to US, it has always been Singapore or Lufthansa airlines with mandatory pit stops. But that is about to change…
North American Airlines have realized there is money to be made by operating out of India and are making cautious entry.
- Air Canada has been operating a direct service between Delhi and Toronto for a while now.
- Delta has a daily flight from Chennai to New York via Paris. I wish it was a non-stop, but I believe this is just a start.
- American Airlines is flying non-stop from Delhi to Chicago. They have also tied up with Air Sahara to ferry passengers within India.
- Continental is flying non-stop from Delhi to New York. With the aviation boom in India, I expect more direct / non-stop flights between India and US.
Now, wouldn’t it be wonderful, if the airport infrastructure kept up with the aviation boom??
My wish list:
- A daily non-stop service between Chennai – San Francisco and Chennai – Chicago with real South Indian food.
- And to several cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, Beijing, Shanghai.
- International flights arrive and depart during the day time. Almost all of the international flights to India arrive and depart in the wee hours of the night. I have never understood the reason.